Thursday, December 3, 2009

Futures

So I’m actually going to write a blog instead of doing a vlog this week. I’m not entirely sure why, but I think it has a lot to do with the people I’m staying with being asleep, and me not wanting to wake them up by recording myself talking to a computer. There has been quite a bit going on in the past two weeks. I am going to do my best to detail my recent experiences.

Los Angeles –

L.A. was fricken amazing. I loved my time spent there, with my good friend Shelby. I got to meet a bunch of her friends and family, and actually got to have a Thanksgiving dinner with them. They were all so nice, and took me in with open arms for the holiday. Shelby took me around to a lot of the touristy places (Hollywood, The Hills, Downtown, etc.), and it was just a lot of fun.

We went to this bar downtown L.A., called The Standard. The Standard is actually a rooftop bar, and is situated amongst all the skyscrapers. It was a beautiful way to spend about… well, 38 minutes, because it costs $4/hour on the downtown meters and we only had 6 quarters. So we went up to the roof, had a drink, and peaced out. 

We also played a ton of games: Cranium, Monopoly, Euchre, and Rumikub. I love playing games, but unfortunately I think I lost every game we played, except for maybe one round of Cranium (when I was on the team of three against a team of two).

I bought Shelby and I tickets to see How the Grinch Stole Christmas: The Musical at the Pantages Theatre. It was my way of saying thanks for letting me stay at your apartment, by taking her to see a musical, sounds about right in Dave World. However, we both agreed that we loved the show. It was very cute, and fun, but the cast was extremely talented. The kids in the show were so good. They could dance, and sing, and even act. The music they added to the show was good enough, but they also kept the classic songs from the original, which made me very happy.

Other notable experiences while there were going to Pasadena for a day, walking around Hollywood for a bit, going to The Getty Center, which has a beautiful view of Westwood, and downtown, walking along the Pacific Ocean from Venice to Santa Monica, getting to meet Addie’s good friend Tommy, meeting up with Jon Hawkins, watching the sunset over the Pacific from the roof of Shelby’s condo to end a perfect Thanksgiving Day.

Overall, L.A. was just an awesome time, and I cannot wait to visit again, maybe even live there, who knows?

Auburn, WA –

This week we are in Auburn, WA, which is about twenty minutes outside of Seattle. It’s been a fairly good week so far. The chillen have been extremely chatty, but they are definitely good kids. We only have kids in kindergarten through fifth grade, which always makes things difficult, but I think we will be able to manage. Our shows are on Friday and Saturday this week, which means that we have to push the kids to memorize their blocking and lines quick, and hope they retain everything. Here’s hoping.

Near Future Plans –

I have so many exciting things coming up in the near future. This coming Sunday, Shelby is coming up to Seattle, and we’re going to see the Seahawks play the 49ers at QWEST FIELD. We are so pumped and cannot even wait. Even before the game on Sunday, we are all going downtown Seattle to see our friend Brendan’s show he wrote. There are about five of us going, and we’re stoked to see the show.

In just over a week and a half I will be headed to Indiana for a solid six days. You have no idea how excited I am about this trip. I will be staying with Zach in Indy for the most part, but on Friday and Saturday I will be seeing my dear theatre family from college for a weekend of festivities. Rachel and I are finally going to read each other’s work, and be able to help each other become more creative. Not sure she’ll like what I wrote, but hopefully she’ll have some constructive criticism. I respect her as a writer more than anyone I know, because she writes from the heart. She writes about real life stuff, not fluffy Christian stuff. I am going to get to see Steelerpants, Katie Doyle (O’Bryan), Zach, Mel, Mary, Mike, Rachel and Adam, I cannot even wait. We haven’t been together as a family in soooo long; it’s going to be great to see everyone.

Then I head home for Christmas on December 21. I’ll get to see my beautiful family, without whom I would be nothing. I love them so much, and without their support I would really be a hopeless case. I will also be spending the entire day of December 22 with the lovely Sara Hilton. She’s the best, and I cannot describe how much I miss her. She the best… Eliward park; hold onto your mittens, because we’re going to rock your world! Other people I am hoping to see: Alixe and Dean, Alissa, Kristen, and Katie Yams, Ryan, Tiff Wilson, Kelly T., Abby Smith. Hopefully I can work things out because I definitely need to see these people and catch up with them.

Long Term Future Plans –

This is an interactive blog, because I really need some advice about my future. I have been really debating this week about my future. As many of you know my brother and his girlfriend recently got engaged. They have set their wedding date for Sept. 18, which means I need to be home for the month of September. However, I am debating what my summer months should look like. I am very tempted to continue on with Missoula for the summer, because I really do love my job. My biggest fear is that I am going to be burnt out by the end of the Winter/Spring Tour (see Winter/Spring Tour Route below). Will I be able to do this job justice if I am emotionally, and physically spent? Here is my dilemma; I will be missing the entire summer audition season, because of being on the road. I would be sending out a crap ton of video auditions, and hoping to get a bite or two for summer work. Do I take the guaranteed work, and the work that ensures that I am home for my brother’s wedding, or do I look for other work that might be closer to home, and allow myself some time to recover? I’m not sure at this point. Any and all advice or suggestions are welcomed and highly encouraged.

Wow. I just wrote a book. Sorry for the rambling.

I love you all, and cannot wait to see some of you soon.

Dave

1 comment:

  1. Sooooooo I decided to comment here and not on facebook. Because here I figured I would have the comment space all to myself :D

    haha. Anyway - I know you mentioned getting together with Rachel to read each others work before talking about the Christmas party, but of the Christmas party listing I'm first!! YAY! That made me happy. And makes me think you must like me the best. haha. not really, but it did make me smile. Just thought I'd let you know.

    Then, about your summer..... You should come to Ohio and do Tecumseh. They wanted you last summer right? Can't you contact them and be like "Let me work for you this summer?" I'm sure they would be uber duber excited. I know I would be.

    We'll talk more in just a few weeks. For now though, just enjoy the end of this tour, k? CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!! I have new apartment pics to show you and am working on getting the Christmas show at church taperecorded.

    YAY! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete